vsftpd How Do I stop users from deleteing files.

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Mon Jun 19 15:16:52 UTC 2006

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 14:26 +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

>>> Such behaviour can not be accomplished with standard unix permissions.
>>> You'll have to use access control lists (ACLs) for this (with which I
>>> have no experience). See man acl for a start.
>>
>> It should be possible to do this using the configuration options of the
>> ftp server itself. It can certainly be done for proftpd in that way.
>>
>> Paul.
>>

> I don't think vsftpd is able to have such 'advanced' configuration, it
> is a Very Simple FTPd, as well as it is a Very Secure FTPd.
>
> kanarip.

are logins necessary for you?  i'm not sure if this would help you, but
it may get you started.

i use the following /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf and users are able to upload
files to the "incoming" directory, but nowhere else.  they cannot delete
files from the "incoming" directory.  the "incoming" directory has write
permissions for the user "ftp" and the whole server is set up for
anonymous only.  make sure that the directories that users aren't
supposed to write in are owned by someone other than the "ftp" user.

listen=YES
max_clients=10
max_per_ip=3
anonymous_enable=YES