FC4 or FC5

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 19 16:42:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:30:09 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you can say that, then you didn't get the point at all.  I'm
> not interested in distributing software.

Since you yourself know that the GPL only affects distribution,
in a certain sense you _are_ interested in distribution.  Perhaps
not in distributing yourself, but you're interested in receiving
software that is distributed by others.

This is the basis of your argument.  You're upset that the GPL
prevents some software from being distributed alongside it.

I'm pretty sure everyone who is sick enough to still be reading
this thread understands you're upset with the GPL because it
has some restrictions that you think are unfair.

However, those restrictions need not apply to you.  All you have
to do is refuse to use any GPL software and the license will not
affect you in any way.

> It doesn't, and can't as long as there are patented technologies
> where the patent holder requires different licensing.  Or if
> the best implementation is covered by a different copyright.

While I do not fully agree with this statement, let us for a moment
assume you are 100% correct.  What you need to understand is that there
are users of the GPL license who are perfectly happy to accept the
fact that some patented technologies or differently-copyrighted
software can not be distributed if they clash with the GPL.

Please understand that such people that do not share your objection
should be free to embrace and use the GPL.  It need not concern you,
they just want to use it themselves, they're not trying to force you
to use it.  Please just stop complaining and do your own thing, leave
them alone to use the GPL software as we wish.  And they'll leave
you alone to use the software you choose.

> The result is that anyone needing any differently licensed component
> can't get just that piece, the entire work must be proprietary
> making a net increase in the amount of proprietary code needed.

Again, I think you're not quite getting it quite right, but lets assume
you've characterized the situation 100% correctly.  There are people that
are quite happy with the resulting situation.  They're happy that the
GPL operates as you describe.  Please leave them alone to use the GPL
software, they'll leave you alone to use whatever software you choose.

Peace,
Sean