disable generation of SSH keys?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 19 22:38:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 15:32 -0700, Cameron Mura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a really simple question, but am having a hard time finding an
> answer via Google -- How does one disable the SSH keypair generation
> that automatically occurs upon first booting-up a new machine ?  I just
> installed FC5 and am trying to do this to avoid over-writing my former
> keys (which I restore to the machine in the post-installation section of
> a kickstart file).  Any tips or pointers to online info would be greatly
> appreciated.

You need to make sure you do not let sshd start at boot initially.
The creation of new keyfiles is caused by the startup of sshd (see
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd for details).

Once you prevent sshd from starting, copy your existing key files
to /etc/ssh, THEN you can let sshd start.

-        Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.        -