ever have trouble with headphone recognition?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 05:23:51 UTC 2006

I have a Dell Latitude D820 and in order to make sound work at all, I
had to install the newer Alsa drivers & utilties as described on the
RedHat help site.
http://people.redhat.com/stransky/alsa/

This laptop has an Intel southbridge architecture that uses the driver
snd-hda-intel.

Here is the problem.  If the laptop starts and no headphones are
plugged in, then inserting the headphones does nothing--sound keeps
coming out from speakers.

Conversely, if  I put in the headphones before starting the comptuer,
then the headphones do work, but yanking them does not make the
speakers work.

The alsa mixer does not show the headphones device, at all. None of
the gnome mixer tools   or kde mixer tools show more devices.

I've stumbled throught a lot of Alsa documentation and there is a hint
that specifying the model= option in  modules.conf might help, but I
don't understand the jargon for figuring out what model I have.  They
offer weird names like "3stack" and such.  Do you know what model to
use?  Here's all the info I have:

# aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xdfffc000 irq 21

# /sbin/lspci -vv

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01cc
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size 10
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21

        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
        Region 0: Memory at dfffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
                Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
                Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
                Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
                Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                Link: Supported Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown, Port 0
                Link: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                Link: ASPM Disabled CommClk- ExtSynch-
                Link: Speed unknown, Width x0
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel