LVM of VolGroup00 with LogVol00

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Tue Jun 20 06:48:07 UTC 2006

FC4 Up to date

I went to do an Upgrade to FC5 and I don't have enough room on my system
(which is a VMware Instance).  So I thought well lets just extend the
Logical Volume.  The only problem is that LogVol00 is mounted to /.  My
head is sore from trying to find a way to run resize2fs on this LV when
it is mounted on /.  Is this even possible?  I guess I could create a
new LV in VolGroup00 and mount it to /var, but I started down this road
and I'm kinda hoping I can figure it out.

So far I've done:

pvcreate /dev/sdb
vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sdb
lvextend -l 267 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /dev/sdb
all worked fine, but of course:
resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00     -  doesn't work because its mounted.

Any suggestions would be great.  I am working out the /var to a LV thing
but...