FC5, Firefox, NFS /home

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jun 20 13:30:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 13:20 +0100, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> Garry T. Williams wrote:
>  > On Tuesday 20 June 2006 04:31, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
>  >> Dan wrote:
>
>  >>> I have an FC5 server which has exported /home via NFS. Client
>  >>> machines automount /home.
>
>  >> Using /home as a network share is inherently insecure,
>
>  > What does that mean?
Paranoia :)

> Threats To Server Security
> https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/security-guide/s1-risk-serv.html
>
> ######
> "Inherently Insecure Services

> Another example of insecure services are network file systems and
> information services such as NFS or NIS which are developed explicitly
> for LAN usage but are, unfortunately, extended to include WANs (for
> remote users).
Note: LAN!

IMO, NFS/NIS are perfectly suitable for use inside of a LAN. Of cause
these services impose a certain level on insecurity, but at a certain
point paranoia has to stop and trust has to start.

You don't wear a hardhat and a bullet-proof suite at home, don't you?
Uhh, beware, your wife has access to knifes  ... ;)

Ralf