[SOLVED] Re: grep, ispunct() and locales/charsets

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Jun 20 13:52:08 UTC 2006

Hello Jakub,

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 12:11 -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> localedef -f CP1251 -i mk_MK /tmp/mk_MK.cp1251
> will create the locale and (as --no-archive was not specified) adds it
> to the locale archive too.

Only locale files located in /usr/lib/locale will survive a glibc
update. Anything outside that path will not be included in the archive
created during the update.

If glibc internally uses the data from the archive then why do we keep
all the directories in /usr/lib/locale around? It's not like the
compiled locales have any informative meaning to the user (and
apparently not to the system). Slashing those would save about 50MB of
disk space.

Of course build-locale-archive then would need to be updated to extract
the existing archive before additions/modifications are made, but
because these should be seldom that shouldn't be much of a concern.
(Does localedef call build-locale-archive or does it use it's own
methods? Same applies here.)

By the way, the locale archive "zips like a train". Why is it not
compressed on disk? Does decompression add a lot of overhead?

Leonard.