Use of Cups printing in a home network.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jun 20 14:40:43 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 16:23 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>>I would like to use cups printing in my home network which consists of a
>>three Linux machines connected to a DSL router.
>>
>>I would like to use one of the machines as the print server and be able
>>to print from all the three machines, but nothing I try works. I can't
>>make browsing to occur.
>>
>>I suspect that  this has something to do with transmission to the
>>various machines through port 631 but could anyone explain how this can
>>be done?
>

> Ordinarily, this is easy to do.  Set up your server, do nothing with the
> clients, and the default firewall options lets local printing sort
> itself out.
>
> When that doesn't work, you may have to rethink how your firewall is set
> up.  You may have to specify the server address in the
> client's /etc/cups/client.conf file.  You may have to hand-edit the
> server /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file to listen to the local network and
> allow local connections.
>
> Read those config files, and the corresponding manuals/documentation.

Just to throw a possible problem into the mix.  Will cups work on a full
DHCP network or does the server need a fixed IP address?  I know that
the OP doesn't mention this but many home networks use DHCP.

You can use ethereal to watch the communication and see where the
problem occurs.

--
Robin Laing