Use of Cups printing in a home network.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 20 16:37:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 08:40 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Just to throw a possible problem into the mix.  Will cups work on a
> full DHCP network or does the server need a fixed IP address?  I know
> that the OP doesn't mention this but many home networks use DHCP.

Good point.  In my case it wouldn't cause a problem, because my DHCP
server is tied in with my DNS server, and the print server is referred
to by name.

Standard advice says always put your servers on a fixed address.  While
you can use DNS to find print.localdomain no matter what its IP address
is, firewall rules based on names can be a right pain to manage.

I read messages from the public lists.