block emails with Fetchmail...

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Tue Jun 20 20:49:33 UTC 2006

Greetings James ,

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>> Am not sure that i fully understand that . Fetchmail fetches email
>> from the remote POP3 Server then it alters the To address as to make
>> it suitable for local delivery .
>
> It shouldn't do: either it will create an *envelope* (SMTP-level)
> RCPT-TO address based on the address given in the fetchmail.conf file,

Well i had this substitution in mind .

> or (in multidrop mode) it will try to detect a suitable address from the
> mail headers (e.g. suitable Received lines: see the envelope keyword in
> fetchmail.conf).
>
> But sendmail should already be configured to accept mail that is
> addressed to users on that machine. It's not being tricked.
>
> For example, I'm running Postfix here. But if I was running Sendmail,
> Sendmail would be told that it should accept all e-mail to
> westexe.demon.co.uk.

Well both sendmail and postfix are MTAs .

Fetchmail would download e-mail over POP3 and grab
> the fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk e-mail address out of the Received:
> headers Demon add, and send the e-mail MAIL FROM whoever, RCPT TO:
> <fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk> to Sendmail. So of course Sendmail would
> accept it.

Something troubles me here . You see my email address is
kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr ( for Fedora ) . For as far as i have looked
in my sendmail configuration files , sendmail is NOT configured to
accept email for *@cha.forthnet.gr . The only emails that it accepts
are for the localhost.localdomain thing . So unless fetchmail changes
the envelope  RCPT-TO address ( if i understand correctly what you
are saying above ) to say root at localhost.localdomain then things will
not work . I know for certain that fetchmail IS working here . I will
give it another run and check the logs , so i can find my mistake .

Kostas