FC5 full install?

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00002 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 22:19:23 UTC 2006

offset wrote:

 > I wanted to know if there was a way to complete a full install of
 > FC5 (similar to the 'Everything' option in RHEL).  It looks like I
 > can only right-click on the installer for every install grouping and
 > select install all optional packages.  Wanted to see if there was
 > another way of doing a full install.

Create a kickstart file, save it to floppy as "ks.cfg", then boot from
the FC5 install disc using the following argument:

linux ks=floppy

Here's a template to get you started; I've already selected all the
available package groups for you, including all the languages:

http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/filez/ks.cfg

I'm not sure whether specifying a package group will install all of
the so-called "optional" packages as well though, I'd need to
investigate that one.

 > I'm sure there are flame/religious wars about whether or not this is
 > a good thing or not

Not too keen on the "everything" install, but the "minimal" is sorely
missed. However, once again, you can do a minimal install using a
kickstart file like this:

%packages --nobase
@Core
yum

I really wouldn't exclude yum though, if I were you.

 > but my requirement is a full install as I do my own custom rpm
 > packaging and development and I want access to all installed
 > packages/libs so I dont have to work out a dependency hell scenario
 > when rolling my own SRPM.

Why not use a mach or mock build environment?

http://thomas.apestaart.org/projects/mach/
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock/

--
K.