FC4 or FC5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 04:48:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 23:09, Ric Moore wrote:

> My original point is that if something is broken and someone can fix
> it... it may help others, in unforeseen ways, to try to improve things a
> bit which may come full circle back to you to improve your own life.

If you really believe that, why apply the GPL restrictions?  Let
people reuse it and improve it any way they can.  X probably
wouldn't exist as a GPL'd work - or NFS, yet they now are
available for everyone.

> have no problem with the GPL on that basis. For me, it keeps it free and
> Bill Gates can't get his hands on it. <evil grin> Ric

Even Bill Gates sometimes does charity work...

The more interesting issue is what happens when the 2 idealistic
pursuits you've mentioned clash?  That is, do you deprive the
people you would like to help with this software by making a system
that cannot use technologies under different licensing (mp3/mpeg
and many others) because of the GPL restrictions or will you
condescend to something like perl's dual license to allow it to
be improved in any way someone would like?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com