c++ programming evironment

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 06:02:12 UTC 2006

On 6/20/06, Todd Simi <tsimi at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm taking a c++ class that is being taught with M$ Virtual C++
> environment, but we are allowed to use any compiler of our choice.
>
> Is their anything similar to the Virtual C++ environment for linux?

SlickEdit is cross platform, but a commercial product.
http://www.slickedit.com/

> I've always used vi for the little I've done.

Yeah, you can't do any serious programming with just vi, regardless of
what people will continue to claim.  Software development with vi is
like trying to drive in a screw with a hammer.  Not saying you can't
get work done with it, but you're probably not being very efficient or
doing a very good job.  I'm not sure how people can work without
autocompletion and class browsing when you're working on a huge
project with hundreds of files and classes.  Vi is probably still good
for programs with less than 10 files and classes.  Plus, IDE's like
SlickEdit allows you to edit in vi mode.

--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank.  The election baby has peed in