ntpd doesn't start correctly

Garry T. Williams gtwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 10:52:23 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 02:32, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> On 6/21/06, Ambrogio <fn050202 at flashnet.it> wrote:
> > I'm experiencing a bad behavior of ntp server.
>
> I have had some network probnlems lately, and noticed that if the
> network is not running before NTP starts it plays up a bit.
>
> It's not a fix, but hack as such, can you set things so that ntpd
> only starts when at home or your office?  That way you know the
> network is running first?  Perhjapse use a spare runlevel for the
> office/home and another for on the raod?

If you use NetworkManager, you can solve this problem.

The NetworkManagerDispatcher will run programs or scripts in response
to interface up/down events.  One use of this is to start (or restart)
the ntpd when the interface transitions from down -> up and to stop
the ntpd when the interface transitions from up -> down.  See
NetworkManagerDispatcher(1) for details.

Here's the script I run on on my laptop when an interface transitions
(/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ntpd-script).  I can't remember
where I got this, but the code is simple and straightforward.  I
always have a happy ntpd as long as I have an interface up:

    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # $Id: ntpd-script,v 1.1 2006/02/18 10:52:03 root Exp $

    if [ -x /usr/bin/logger ]; then
	    LOGGER="/usr/bin/logger -s -p user.notice -t NetworkManagerDispatcher"
    else
	    LOGGER=echo
    fi

    if [ ! -x /etc/init.d/ntpd ]; then
      $LOGGER "init script /etc/init.d/ntpd missing or not executible"
      return
    fi

    if [ -n $1 ] && [ $2 == "up" ]; then

      if [ -f /var/run/ntpd.pid ]; then
	$LOGGER "ntpd is running, restart"
	/sbin/service ntpd restart
      else
	$LOGGER "ntpd is not running, start"
	/sbin/service ntpd start
      fi

    fi

    if [ -n $1 ] && [ $2 == "down" ] && [ -f /var/run/ntpd.pid ]; then
      $LOGGER "ntpd is running, stop"
      /sbin/service ntpd stop
    fi

--