Anacron pre-link problem (FC4)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 21 11:11:54 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> This morning, while anacron was running, I suddenly had 100% cpu
> usage.  I immediately started top and caught a brief glimpse of
> something with 'hal' in the name, then 'prelink' took over, claiming
> 99% cpu.
>
> For various reasons no updates had been performed on this box until
> yesterday, when a huge list updated, including the installation of
> kernel 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4.
>
> Has anyone any idea why this may have happened?
>
> Anne

In the past, I noticed prelink running high on CPU usage when I
installed large amounts of updates. When there is a lot for it to do,
prelink boggs down the system. (Speed up execution of libraries, though
you couldn't tell by prelink running)

The system should get back to normal once prelink stabilizes its duties.
It runs according to its need to prelink libraries in time and cpu usage.

Jim

--
economist, n:
	Someone who's good with figures, but doesn't have enough