c++ programming evironment

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Wed Jun 21 11:59:06 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 00:54, Todd Simi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm taking a c++ class that is being taught with M$ Virtual C++
> environment, but we are allowed to use any compiler of our choice.
>
> Is their anything similar to the Virtual C++ environment for linux?
>
> I've always used vi for the little I've done.
>
> Thanks
> Todd

I'm interested in this thread too, but for different reasons.

We have a looming problem at work, which is a test instrument that's
controlled by a DOS program on a PC via a serial cable. It works OK but
serial ports are fast vanishing from PCs especially laptops.

So what we'd like to try to do sometime is re write the PC application as a
GUI. I've sort of convinced my boss that the way to go is to future proof
ourselves against events such as the disappearance of $soft through loss of
sales to Open Source, by using Qt as the graphics library.

I need to know two things:-

1) how to build the same project in two or more different environments,
starting with Linux/KDE and XP. I've so far had a play with writing a small
Qt application in kdevelop, but kdevelop so far as I know won't run under XP
but Eclipse does. So I'm guessing that the way to go will be to use Eclipse
with gcc under Linux, and Eclipse with the gcc provided by cygwin under XP.
Am I correct? If so I'm interested in some educational resources to find out
how to do it.

2) what interface to use in future. The serial cable is going to have to be
replaced. I have two suggestions so far, USB and Ethernet. Again, I've not
used either yet so I'm looking for suggestions.

All help and suggestions gratefully received.

Dave F

--
Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763