Fedora Core 5 "forces" formation of /dev/mapper/nvidia...

Lars Packschies pa at uni-koeln.de
Wed Jun 21 15:09:18 UTC 2006

Dear List members,

   I tried to find some information on my own already but I didn't
succeed yet.

   I try to install Fedora Core 5, and I disabled the nvidia Raid option
in my mainboard's BIOS.

   The "sata_nv" driver has to be loaded to be able to use my two SATA
harddrives. The Installer does only see a /dev/mapper/nvidia_"something"
device to install fedora on, I am not able to see two single and
independent harddrives. It seems to try to setup a raid device, and
after the installation both harddrives are partitioned identically. Is
there any way to _not_ activate any RAID setup, just two plain
harddrives (sata devices, sda and sdb) like it was in fedora core 4?

   linux noprobe did not help, since the SATA devices have to be set up
using the sata_nv driver anyway.

   Is the only way now unplugging one of the harddrives and plug it back
in after the installation?

   Maybe there is a simple solution to this...?

   Thanks in advance,

     Lars Packschies