um update

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00002 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Wed Jun 21 17:31:04 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Keith G. Robertson-Turner [about Macromedia repo]:
>> Like I said, for the sake of just one package, that is available
>> elsewhere ...

> Ordinarily, I'd agree.  For efficiency reasons, it makes good sense
> not to have a repo for this, and another for that, ad infinitum.
> But I seem to recall that it was the only official repo available
> for Macromedia.

AFAIK the only *official* repos are core, updates and extras, along
with their various "source" and "development" counterparts.

Warren Togami's mplug repo is a private effort, no more or less
"official" than Dries Verachtert's repo (which hosts mozilla-flash and
thousands of other packages). Flash is a non-free extras component,
and as such could not go into any official repo anyway, so the fact
that the founder of the Fedora project hosts the plugin on a private
site, has no bearing on it's "official" status.

I'm against different repos duplicating packages, for the sake of
consistency and reducing package contention, and Warren did get there
first with his package, but the mplug domain seems to go up and down
like a yo-yo, and metadata is often out of sync or corrupted, so like
I said, for the sake of just one package, it just makes sense to use
Dries instead.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 16:07:34 up 3 days, 16:24,  2 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00