Announcing Fedora Core 6 Test 1 (5.90)

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Jun 21 22:41:52 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman writes:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Kam Leo wrote:

>>> on.
>>>
>>> My home file and print server is an AMD K6-2 200MHz system.
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>>

>> I'm still using P2 133MHz and K6-2 450MHz systems.
>
> I have a P1-166 print server, but it hasn't been able to boot any kernel
> since 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4 without freezing up during or shortly after boot.

You got as far as 2.6.15.  Anything newer than 2.6.13 reliably panics
within seconds after booting on my dual Opteron.

> (2) Anyone else having problems with kernel 2.6.16 RPMs and i586?  Any
> ideas what to look for?

Things are not looking good.  Unless you're running generic, mainstream,
consumer hardware, if the kernel croaks on you you'll have to swim on your
own. The kernel has become too complicated for most average shmucks to
troubleshoot, if something breaks.

Just for yucks I'll try booting up the most recent 2.6.16 errata, over the
weekend.  Maybe I'll get lucky, and it will croak without making me rebuild
my degraded RAID arrays, afterwards.