How to configure mysql server?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jun 22 02:42:30 UTC 2006

I'd like to run mysqld on my desktop "alfred"
and run a mysql client on my laptop "elizabeth".

It seems I need to grant permission on alfred
for tim at elizabeth to access the server,
but I have not found how to do this.

I'm running mysqld version 5.0.22 under Fedora-5.

When I try to set the password for user "root" on my desktop
I get the error:
[root at alfred tim]# mysqladmin -u root password whatever
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
Another attempt fails:
[root at alfred tim]#  mysql -h localhost -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

Does this mean that "root" already has a password, which I do not know?

The only user I can login as is "mysql",
but then I can do little:
[tim at alfred ~]$ mysql -u sql -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 4 to server version: 5.0.22

mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to tim at elizabeth ;
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password:
NO)
mysql> quit;
Bye

Could some kind guru tell me the solution to my quandary?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366