c++ programming evironment

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 06:00:14 UTC 2006

On 22/06/06, jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Free as in speech or free as in sex? I can't seem to find a *nix
> > version. I thought that you had implied that they had released is a
> > *nix version with the intent of luring developers. I may have
> > misinterpretted your meaning.
>
> That concept is laughable. But maybe it'd work in WINE. That would
> be interesting to know.

What's laughable? IE runs better in wine on my linbox that it ever did
natively on XP. That's not a joke. I don't have any hard numbers
because I did not expect such a situation and therefore did not time
IE on XP before converting the machine to Linux. But page
load-and-display time is _much_ faster, and the menus seem more
responsive as well. The only problem we have is Hebrew text input. We
cannot type in Hebrew in any application under wine.

I also think that Word is slightly more responsive in wne than it was
on XP, but Excel and Powerpoint were better performing on XP. Again, I
don't have any numbers, but both myself and the wife have noticed and
commented on it. I suppose it is because of overall reduced system
load on a basic KDE installation vs. Microsoft's default desktop
environment.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com