software to send keystrokes to an gnome term window ?

dtimms at bigpond.net.au dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 22 08:19:42 UTC 2006

Hi, I am using fdupes --delete to remove duplicates from my server; there is a lot > 100,000 files. While fdupes md5sum ensures files are identical, it then lists the files with a "to keep" item no, and requests whether you want to keep 1 or more or all files.

At this stage I know that I want just one file left in each group of identicals. The file is the first file. So I type:
1
enter

and repeat ad-nauseum. I found using gnome terminal that I can select the 1 and the end of line, then ctrl-shift-c and then ctrl-shift-v this into the fdupes terminal. In this way holding down ctrl-shift-v for 10 minutes gets a few thousand groups (bar one) deleted.

There has to be a better way :-)

I've tried to find rpm / compile from source  a few tools:
xmacroplay {sf} fails to compile.
expect {rpm} runs  [but a quarter of an hour with the examples and man didn't get anything happenning.

How can I achieve this ?

DaveT.