New FC5 installation Package manager can not find installation files

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 22 09:36:39 UTC 2006

pansy309 at tds.net wrote:

>> Message: 13
>> Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:49:12 +0100
>> From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>> Subject: Re: New FC5 installation Package manager can not find
>> 	installation files
>> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>
>> pansy309 at tds.net wrote:
>>> ------------------------------

>>> I am trying to wade through all of that. I sure wish they had left an option so people in my situation could start up a little easier.When I enter the mnt -r -o loop  command it cannot find the directory.
>> In order to be able to help you with that, I'll need to know exactly
>> what you typed, exactly what the response was, and where the ISO images
>> are on your disk (the method works with ISO images, not the removable CD
>> media itself).
>>
>> Paul.
>>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> I tried several way to create a path. All of them resulted in the file not found output.  Here are 2
> mount -r -o loop /home/yumrepository/FC-5-i386-disc1.iso disc1
>
> ( /home/yumrepository being the directory I created to hold the files )
>
> mount -r -o loop /media/disc/FC-5-i386-disc1.iso disc1
>
> I have looked at all the disc files and can not determine any path to iso files.

How did you get your Fedora Core install CDs? Did you buy them from
somewhere, were they given to you, or did you download the ISO files
over the Internet and burn them to CD?

What you need are the ISO files used to create the CDs. If you never had
the ISO files, you can create them from the CDs but that's a non-trivial
process so we'll not go into it unless necessary.

 > On disc1 there is a isolinux directory and a repodata directory but
these directories are not on any other discs.  There is no pattern I can
determine on the discs that would tell me where the ISO images reside.

They won't be on the CDs themselves; the ISO images are used to make the
CDs.

> Thank you very much for your help, but it looks like a dead end unless someone can tell me the iso paths or how to install the modem drivers.
>
> If I download the RPMs in windows to a CD, will they work in linux?

Yes.

Paul.