How to configure mysql server?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jun 22 14:45:41 UTC 2006

Lai Zit Seng wrote:

> Yes it does sound like root already has a password.
>
> You can try reinitializing the mysql tables by running:
>
> /usr/bin/mysql_install_db

Thanks, I tried that (as myself, not superuser),
and obtained an enormously long - over 2000 lines - message,
which finished by saying
-------------------------------------
To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system
-------------------------------------

I've checked, and there is no support-files directory
anywhere on my system, even though I have installed all the MySQL rpms
("yum install *mysql*").

I see that a very old (I think FC-1 or maybe RedHat-9) archive of mine
does indeed have such a directory.

Is the Fedora-5 MySQL setup grossly deficient?
There appear to be no doc files with anything but the barest of information.

There are admittedly many mysql-related man files,
as well as a reasonably full "info mysql" tutorial,
but none of these seem to have any useful information
about setting up mysqld.

For example, "man mysqld" starts by saying
"mysqld reads options from the [mysqld] and [server] groups".
However, it never says what this means,
or where these "groups" are to be found.

Is this a special MySQL dialect of English?

Has anyone actually setup a MySQL server on a Fedora-5 system?
If so, I would be very interested to know what steps you took.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366