How to configure mysql server?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jun 22 19:10:19 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>> Thanks, I tried that (as myself, not superuser),
>>> and obtained an enormously long - over 2000 lines - message,
>>> which finished by saying
>>> -------------------------------------
>>> To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
>>> to the right place for your system
>>> -------------------------------------
>
>> The message is a generic message, and not FC5 specific. Starting the
>> mysql server is controlled by the mysqld script in /etc/rc.d/init.d
>> just like other servers are controlled. You can use the service and
>> chkconfig commands to control its starting, or you can use one of
>> the GUIs for controlling services. If you want to do it from the
>> cli, your best bet is to run setup as root, and pick "System
>> services" from the menu. From Gnome, run System --> Administration
>> --> Server Settings --> Services.
>
> I've no problem running mysqld - with "sudo service mysqld restart".
> My problem is that I cannot access the mysql server on my desktop
> from the mysql client on my laptop.
>
> The message may be generic, but surely it should make sense,
> even on Fedora-5.

"To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy
support-files/mysql.server to the right place for your system"

Well, that part that has to do with setting up mysqld to start on
system boot. It is already taken care of when you install the RPM.
So it does not apply to FC.

I understand that it is taken care of by the /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld
script, but I don't expect you to make the connection. You will run
into a fair amount of this where the instructions included with the
package are generic Linux instructions, but the install has already
been done for you. A good rule of thumb is that if you installed a
package from an RPM, then the installation has been done for you.
You may need to do the configuration that is called for after the
package is installed, but you do not need to do the install. If you
compile and install from source, that is another story.

>> As far as using mysql, you will probably want to install the
>> mysql-administration package.
>
> I have installed this package, in fact every package with mysql in its name.
>
>> While mysql can be administered with
>> the cli tools, they are not very friendly.
>
> There is a difference between being unfriendly and not working.
> I have followed the instructions I was given,
> and they do not appear to have the intended effect.

Well, the mysql_install_db program will work, but only if you do not
already have the database files. It does not overwrite the files if
they are there.
>> Now, if you have not done anything with the database, then I would
>> do this, as root:
>>
>> service mysqld stop
>> rm -f /var/lib/mysql/*
>> service mysqld start
>
> I shall try that (well, I will save the files rather than deleting them).
> Here is what happened:
> [root at alfred ~]# service mysqld stop
> Stopping MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]
> [root at alfred ~]# cd /usr/lib
> [root at alfred lib]# mkdir mysql.bak
> [root at alfred lib]# mv mysql/* mysql.bak/
> [root at alfred lib]# cd
> [root at alfred ~]# service mysqld start
> Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
> Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]
> [root at alfred ~]#
> [root at alfred ~]# cd /usr/lib
> [root at alfred lib]# mv mysql.bak/* mysql/
> [root at alfred lib]# service mysqld start
> Starting MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]
> [root at alfred lib]#

Oops - you also need to move the /var/lib/mysql/mysql and
/var/lib/mysql/test directories. Thats is what I get for doing it
from memory.

The mysql database is the one with the passwords, permissions, and
things of that nature. The test database is an empty database that
you can play with.

Mikkel