Easy way to backup FC5 over network?[Scanned]

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jun 23 11:42:30 UTC 2006

Chris Bradford wrote:
> I've been looking into backup solutions for my FC5 boxes over our
> network to a file server.
>
> I came across netcat and tar, using the following commands:
>
> On the file server run:
>
> *nc -l 6060 > backup.tar.gz*
>

> Then on the client run:
>
> *tar czvOPp --same-owner /* | nc 10.0.35.100 6060*
>

> However this fails due to files in use (i.e the '/proc/' folder) so what
> I want to know is what I would need to do in order to create a full,
> working backup.
>
> Any ideas?

You could use something that's designed for the job, like bacula. It
takes a bit of setting up but works well, you can do
incremental/differential backups and it's great for recovering bits of
backups from specific times, such as when you accidentally delete things.

And it can back up Windows clients too.

Paul.