support for bladeframes

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 14:05:44 UTC 2006

I currently have an IBM LS-20 blade system at my work which we are
evaluating.  Fujitsu makes some good stuff but I haven't gotten my hands on
it yet.  The IBM blade unit is suppossed to support all of the recent RHEL
distributions as well as M$ and SuSE, (the CEO-less distribution lol).  I
run into driver issues with all sorts of servers (especially Dell since they
are so linux UNfriendly in my opinion).  We ran into a vesa issue with RHEL
but that is nothing that a little bit of xorg.conf tweaking wouldn't fix.

Right now the market is really neck and neck with HP and IBM having about
85-90% market share.  How you use it really affects the configuration and
all of the choices involved. When you say 'spread the load out' over more
blades -  are you truly referring to some sort of clustering?

Questions for you

1.  The statement 'currently we install important/heavy-loaded systems twice
or triply, '  ---doesn't make sense.  Explain?

2.  why on earth would you run Fedora on a blade in a production
environment?  Is it truly that or something like  a test environment?

3.  kickstart is not a firewall, that does not make sense, please
explain....

HTH
Marc