recording spdif with ice1724 chipset

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:11:35 UTC 2006

On 6/7/06, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to work out how to record from an S/PDIF input
> using a Terratec 7.1 Space (Envy24 based card, supported by
> ICE1724 Alsa driver).  I simply can't work it out.
>
> Under Windows it's necessary to use the Terratec control
> panel to select S/PDIF as the recording source (rather
> than the analogue mixer/sources).  What I think I should
> do under Linux is something like:

There is a workaround in the alsa-lib tree now for this issue
<http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-lib?cmd=changeset;node=76c855e68dd8;style=gitweb>

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> OK, the problem is the confliction of "IEC958 Playback Route" and
> "IEC958 Capture Switch".
>
> We need to fix either mixer layer or rename it, e.g. from "Playback
> Route" to "Playback Source".
>
> The patch below (for alsa-lib) is a temporary workaround to add the
> automatic toggle of "IEC958 Capture Switch" over iec958 (spdif) PCM.
> This makes the spdif recording working even without the fix suggested
> in the above.

(The fix mentioned was to, as root, run "alsactl store" to save the current
mixer settings in /etc/asound.state, manually edit the "IEC958 Capture
Switch" entry to true, and then run "alsactl restore")

So you can either apply this fix manually or the patch to
(IIRC) /etc/alsa/cards.

--
imalone