ZFS: Ten reasons to reformat your hard drives

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 17:56:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 14:23 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:

> >>I was talking to one of our IT people about this yesterday after reading
> >>the article.  Some of the features that are not listed in the article
> >>would make this the ultimate desktop FS.
> >>
> >>I did some searching on ZFS and found that there are some great tools as
> >>part of the FS.  There are simple tools for backup and abilities to
> >>enable undelete as well as imaging built into the FS.
> >>
> >>This is a good blog on how it compares to normal usage.
> >>
> >>  Why ZFS for home
> >>http://uadmin.blogspot.com/2006/05/why-zfs-for-home.html
> >>
> >>I for one would love to have this on my home system.
> >>
> >>The one thing that I am reading is that it is fast which is an issue
> >>with larger and larger files.
> >>
> >>It is something worth looking at to make linux better for both the home
> >>and business user.
> >>--
> >>Robin Laing
> >>

> > err... this thread is -pointless-.
> > Unless someone finds a way to bridge CDDA and GPL -and- port ZFS to
> > Linux, this thread just eats precious bandwidth.
> >
> > Gilboa
> >

> The CDDL and GPL are one at least as RedHat/Fedora is concerned.
>
> But ZFS is being ported to Linux.
>
> Friday, May 26, 2006
> Announcing ZFS on FUSE/Linux
>
> http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/2006/05/announcing-zfs-on-fuselinux.html
>
> I'm very pleased to announce that, thanks to Google, Linux will
> (hopefully) have a working ZFS implementation by August 21st, 2006.
>
> Again, this goes along with all the other file system support that is
> within Linux either directly or indirectly such as NTFS.

... You're conveniently ignoring the fact that:
A. FUSE was never designed to be used for root FS. Even if it's possible
(and I don't know FUSE enough to be certain) the performance hit should
make ZFS-FUSE irrelevant.
B. CDDL might be OK for Fedora, but it's not OK for kernel tree people;
Until ZFS enters the main tree, ZFS is of little interest for Fedora
(and/or this list)

Gilboa