yum upgrade FC4 -> FC5 finally "done"

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Jun 24 00:34:22 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I read your blog, and I think you were incredibly lucky that your
> method - installing all rpm's in various repositories with "rpm -Uvh
> *.rpm" - actually worked.

	Oh, believe me, I know just how lucky I was.

> I wonder if you ran "yum update" on your FC-4 system before you
> started?

	Yep.

> I upgraded from FC-4 to FC-5 by installing
> fedora-release-5-5.noarch.rpm and then running "yum update".

	As I said, that's exactly what I did.  It's just that the yum upgrade
was trashed in the middle due to a power blip.  Luck had it that I had
enough of the updated rpm files on the system to make the "rpm -Uvh" work.

	Dumb luck is often the savior of the insane.

Joe