setenv... where is it??

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 04:01:21 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 17:23 +1000, Michael Fleming wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 02:43 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > I'm compiling a program from a tarball and the ./configure process
> > claims:
> > checking for getuid... yes
> > checking for mempcpy... yes
> > checking for munmap... yes
> > checking for putenv... no
> > checking for setenv... no
> >

> > I've got the man pages, so I would think it's installed. But apparently
> > it is not. So I: yum install glibc*  ...and here's the fun part!
> >
> > =============================================================================
> >  Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
> > Size
> > =============================================================================
> > Installing:
> >  glibc-debuginfo         i686       2.4-8            updates
> > 5.8 M
> >  glibc-debuginfo-common  i386       2.4-8            updates
> > 12 M
> >  glibc-utils             i386       2.4-8            updates
> > 109 k
> >
> > Transaction Summary
> > =============================================================================
> > Install      3 Package(s)
> > Update       0 Package(s)
> > Remove       0 Package(s)
> > Total download size: 18 M
> >
> > glibc-utils is 109k, while the debug stuff is almost 18 megs.
>
> You shouldn't need the debug stuff unless you're actively bug-hunting.
>
> > Even after filling up a chunk of harddrive, I cannot locate putenv nor
> > setenv. I tried google... and from what I can gather it's part of glibc?
> > The make refuses to make, and I think this is the problem... I think.
> > If anyone has some help to offer, I'd appreciate it. Ric
>
> You need to install glibc-devel (which was not picked up via the above
> yum command, gotta love globbing functions...)
>
> "yum install glibc-devel" and you should be set.

[root at iam  rpm -q glibc-devel
glibc-devel-2.4-8

Got it already... yum told me it had nothing to do when I tried
installing it like that. So I tried this:
[root at iam rpm -q --whatprovides setenv
no package provides setenv

Jeez! It really seems to be missing, but locate finds a pile of
documentation for it installed. Beats the hell outa me. If the doc gets
installed, shouldn't the programs be installed too?? Must be a bug or an
omission. I would like to know about this. :) Ric