kdewebdev replacing tidy?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 25 04:46:57 UTC 2006

Lars E. Pettersson:
>> I seem to have missed something. Why is tidy replaced by kdewebdev?
>>
>> For me this led to an dependency install of htdig, kdebase, kdebindings,
>> kdelibs, kdepim, kdesdk, which for me are unnecessary. Tidy seem much
>> more lightweight than kdewebdev.

Than Ngo:
> in FC4, the kdewebdev includes tidy and therefore obsoletes tidy from extras.
> It's a bug in kdewebdev and will be fixed in next rebuild.
>
> This bug only appears in FC4.

Any news on this being fixed up?  I've just been struck by the same sort
of thing.  I have a KDE-less system, and that's how I want it.  Today
I'm faced with this stupidly huge situation (see below).  I don't see
any reason why kdewebdev, and its entourage, should stick its oar in,
unless you happened to have already been using it.  What's next, a
non-KDE system having the whole of KDE installed because someone
considered it an update to Gnome?  I don't hold with this idea of
something being replaced, as an update, in this manner.

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 kdewebdev               i386       6:3.5.3-0.1.fc4  updates-released  9.4 M
     replacing  tidy.i386 0.99.0-4.20041214

Updating:
 arts                    i386       8:1.5.3-0.1.fc4  updates-released  1.1 M
 autofs                  i386       1:4.1.4-26       updates-released  317 k
 grip                    i386       1:3.2.0-12.fc4   extras            435 k
 shorewall               noarch     3.0.8-1.fc4      extras            204 k
Installing for dependencies:
 kdebase                 i386       6:3.5.3-0.2.fc4  updates-released   28 M
 kdebindings             i386       3.5.3-0.1.fc4    updates-released  5.7 M
 kdelibs                 i386       6:3.5.3-0.2.fc4  updates-released   18 M
 kdepim                  i386       6:3.5.3-0.1.fc4  updates-released   19 M
 kdesdk                  i386       3.5.3-0.1.fc4    updates-released  6.9 M
 ruby                    i386       1.8.4-2.fc4      updates-released  255 k
 ruby-libs               i386       1.8.4-2.fc4      updates-released  1.5 M
 subversion              i386       1.2.3-2.1        updates-released  2.1 M

Transaction Summary
Install      9 Package(s)
Update       4 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 92 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

The mess of trying to determine which update has caused all the others
to get pulled in shows the need for some sort of dependency tree
display, so we don't have to play trial and error, or go through merry
hell on the command line reading one thing after another.  I've
progressively added excludes to the yum update command line, and I've
got as far as excluding EVERYTHING listed as to be updated, and it still
wants to install all that KDE crap.

e.g. yum --exclude=arts --exclude=tidy --exclude=autofs --exclude=grip --exclude=shorewall update

Even if I didn't mind having KDE around, I sure do mind unnecessarily
downloading 90 megs.  The only thing that stops all of that being set
for installation is "yum --exclude=kdewebdev update".  Now, I get this:

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Updating:
 arts                    i386       8:1.5.3-0.1.fc4  updates-released  1.1 M
 autofs                  i386       1:4.1.4-26       updates-released  317 k
 grip                    i386       1:3.2.0-12.fc4   extras            435 k
 shorewall               noarch     3.0.8-1.fc4      extras            204 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       4 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 2.1 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y

But it makes no sense.  I'm excluding a package from being updated that
I don't already have.  How can it be in the list for being updated?  If
it's merely a check for updating tidy that ropes it in, then why didn't
an "--exclude=tidy", by itself, stop it?

I read messages from the public lists.