Sqlite on Fedora Core 5

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 25 20:43:05 UTC 2006

For a long time, I've been playing with the Sqlite product from
http://www.sqlite.org .  I started doing this before Fedora Core 4, and
would compile the source code to the default install directories of
/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib, etc. This worked great until Fedora
Core started packaging Sqlite and installing it by default, I think
mainly because yum uses it. And for good reason too.

This is where I got in trouble. The Fedora Core rpm package installs to
/usr/bin and /usr/lib and /usr/include.

However, on Fedora Core 5, my path is set so that objects on
/usr/local/bin are found before those on /usr/bin. I'm not sure how this
is happening; perhaps /etc/profile? The result seems to be that even if
sqlite 3.3.3 was installed by yum, executing /usr/bin/sqlite3 will yeild
a command line stating its version is 3.2.7  which is one of the
versions I believe I installed to /usr/local myself.

currently, /etc/ld.so.conf points at /usr/local/lib.

Yum seems to work fine.

How do I fix my sqlite version mess so that I can have multiple
installed versions: the one used by yum (and possibly other modules) and
the latest and greatest release, which I want to link into PHP for my
own purposes. (Yes I compile PHP on my own.)

If I have to reinstall the Fedora Core 5 version of Sqlite -- how do I
do that?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Maryland, USA