fighting with xargs :-(

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Sun Jun 25 23:40:03 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

[snip]

> Let the shell do the heavy lifting:
>
> for file in *[^.gz]
> do
> gzip -c "$file" > "$file.gz"
> done
>
> But, it is generally easier to deal with things when you
> separate them into subdirectories instead of having to
> wild-card the filenames.  Is there some reason to keep
> the compressed and uncompressed versions in the same
> directory?

Thank you... I will give that a try and see how it goes. :-)

This is actually part of a procmail script I'm developing....
I receive e-mail with attachments... (and certain criteria of course)
The procmail script sends them off via ftp to some other site. As the
files are ftp'd the local copies are erased.

Prior to ftp, I want to compress the files, but BOTH are to be sent to
the other site. (It would make sense to only send the gzip'd one and let
the receiving end expand it if it wants... but that is beyond my control.

By adding both files it will illustrate the dramatic effect on to things:
1 - the space required to keep these things in he first place
2 - the improved speed to d/l them later

Eventually, I expect to drop the original files all together, sending
only the gzip ones, in which case the script will be simplified because
gzip automatically *replaces* the original file.