Cooperative Bug Isolation for Fedora Core 5

Ben Liblit liblit at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 26 04:21:38 UTC 2006

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I'm going to install these things, just to see what happens.

Cool, thanks!

> 1. Are bug reports sent automatically when programs crash?

Nothing is ever sent until you confirm that you want to participate,
which is a one-time thing that looks a lot like this:
<http://www.cs.wisc.edu/cbi/learn-more/privacy/first-time.png>.

Once you've confirmed that you want to participate, reports are sent
automatically after all runs, whether they crash or not.  I realize
that's a bit unusual.  CBI works by looking for the *differences*
between good and bad runs, so we need to see examples of both for the
analysis to work.

Please see <http://www.cs.wisc.edu/cbi/learn-more/> for more information
about what we're measuring, why, and how we protect your privacy in the
process.  If you have any additional questions, please ask: this can
only work if the users trust/understand what we're doing.

> 2. Will your versions of programs stay up to date with releases to
> fedora-updates?

Yes.  I make it a priority to stay current so that my users are never
torn between supporting CBI bug hunting and keeping up with new official
Fedora releases.