FC5 locks solid after running parted

Chris Allen chris at cjx.com
Mon Jun 26 16:07:48 UTC 2006

I have a Supermicro box with dual 3.2GHz Xeon processors, a 250GB disk
containing FC5 and 16 x 750GB sata disks on a single Areca controller.

Linux vsnap1 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp #1 SMP Tue Mar 14 16:05:46 EST 2006
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The script below locks the machine solid about 40% of the time that I
run it.
It should remove the first partition from each of the sata drives
(sdb-sdq) and
write a single new 250GB partition to each of them.

There is nothing printed on the console, nothing in /var/log/messages - in
fact no error messages of any sort. If I run the parted commands one by one
from the console I can never make it crash.

Ideas anyone??

#!/bin/bash
for i in b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q
do
parted -s /dev/sd$i rm 1
parted -s /dev/sd$i mkpart primary ext2 0 250GB
done