anyone else having weird networking issues with the latest FC5 (2.6.17) kernel?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jun 26 17:44:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 08:36 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> I'm seeing some bizarre networking problems with the latest FC5
> kernel.  On one system, all of my ethernet interfaces have reversed
> themselves.  eth2 is now eth0, eth0 is eth2.  If I boot back into the
> last 2.6.16 based kernel, everything 'works' as expected again.
>
> On another system, where I'm using ndiswrapper-1.18 for a PCI wifi
> NIC, it just doens't work at all in the 2.6.17 kernel.  I see tons of
> messages in dmesg about wlan0 getting reset, and there's no throughput
> at all (100% packet loss).  Falling back to the last 2.6.16 kernel
> fixed that problem too.

This sounds like a resurfacing of an earlier problem where the new
kernel and utilities changed the order in which devices were scanned on
the mobo.  The names are assigned in the order they are seen by default,
but IIRC there are workarounds that will force the system to always
assign the same nic the same name.

I have not seen the nic problem and do not remember the details, but
then I do not have multiple NICs, nor am I using ndiswrapper on my PC.
When I was using ndiswrapper, IIRC it had to be recompiled for each
kernel update.