c++ programming evironment

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Jun 26 23:09:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:38:53PM -0400, Fred Lackey wrote:
> Good afternoon, everyone.
>
> I just noticed this thread, originally posted by a fairly new
> developer coming from a Windows environment.  IMHO, most guys coming
> from a M$ environment tend to get overwhelmed by how much they SHOULD
> know about development and their environment but, sadly enough, do
> not because of the "hand holding" that they have grown accustomed to
> within Visual Studio.  Admittedly, this was me some years back.
>
> It would be great to let me know if this helps...
>
> 	Setting Up Eclipse for C++ Development (in Windows)
> 	http://wiki.fredlackey.com/pmwiki.php?
> n=HelpfulInfo.DevelopmentEclipseCppCofnig
>
> Be gentle... it's my first attempt in trying to put something like
> this out there for the rest of the world.  Hopefully, it's not my last.
>
> Personally, I enjoy working in VS.NET and still promote the Express
> editions of SQL Server and Visual Studio for Windows-only
> development.  However, that level of enjoyment is easily compared to
> how wonderful it is to get comfy in a certain development environment
> and to have it available on whatever platform I'm using.
>
> Enjoy!  =)
>
> R/S
> Fred

Hey, Fred...

I must put my 2 cents in here. I used to reply to these mails asking
about a "programming environment" for linux/unix/whatever with the
phrase: "Unix IS an IDE". After all, it was developed in large part
so that developers would have a friendly environment to work in.
(of course, the definition of "friendly" has changed a goodly amount
since that day when 'ed' was considered a good text editor.)

I've never come to like those all-in-one IDE things that most MS
programmers all love. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time in them,
but the BIG shortcoming that always breaks the deal for me is that none
of them integrates a vi editor.  My fingers know how to use vi, I don't
have to think about it most of the time. I HATE having to take my hands
off the keyboard to reach the mouse just to do some little editing task.

So, to me, the best IDE is a good Unix/linux/etc box with either multiple
terminal windows open in X, or multiple text consoles, vi in one of 'em,
gdb/ddd in another, and a set of compile commands in the shell history
list of a third one.

My preferred vi clone, elvis (ftp.cs.pdx.edu/pub/elvis) allows one to
run the compiler and debugger directly from within it, though I've not
bothered to do more than experiment with that feature since I'm quite
happy doing it with 3 windows.

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.