My eth0 isn't wireless, damit

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jun 26 23:53:58 UTC 2006

Yesterday, my eth0 & eth0:0 was working with the r8169 driver and the
current 2.6.17 kernel. This morning, it's quite thoroughly hosed:

root at fantasia 10:49 ~#ifup eth0
SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
SIOCGIFXQLEN: No such device
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device eth0 ; No such device.
SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
Failed to bring up eth0

So, what's with the wireless presumption? This is a desktop with no
wireless whatsoever. Furthermore, my r8169 is specified for eth0 in
/etc/modprobe.conf, the correct hwaddr is specified in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, and the relevant entry in
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf appears quite correct.

Most troubling is that this was working yesterday and I can't figure
what changed. I only rebooted because my attempts to work with desktop
audio somehow crashed the kernel. But how would that affect networking
on a reboot?

ifconfig also appears broken to me--returns, "Error fetching interface
information: Device not found."

--

Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.240.715.1272

Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in the U.S. and Canada--Go to http://ScreenlessPhone.Com to learn more.