several discrepancies with new -2139 kernel.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jun 27 02:16:53 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:

<-------------[ SNIP ]--------------->

> If the name of the device has been changed from wlan0 to wifi0, why was
> there not a notice of that change ON THIS LIST?  And what would I need
> to change besides the name and contents of ifcfg-wlan0 file, made triply
> difficult by that file existing in 3 seperate locations via hard links.
>  It took me about a week to discover this and figure out a way to
> actually make a change in the MAC address to take globally.  What I
> think of that isn't printable...  But it would be nice if one knew which
> file of the 3 was the actual master copy so we don't waste hours, even
> days redoing such an edit & then looking at the log to see the old MAC
> address still being used.

There is only one file. There are just 3 file names pointing to it.
Even though the file is in 3 different directories, there is no
master file. They all access the same location on the hard drive, so
changing one has the effect of changing 3 files. But deleting one
file name does not delete the file. It is there until all the file
names pointing to it are deleted. You can see how many file names
are linked to a file by running "ls -l <file name>".

[mikkel at toshiba devices]$ ls -l ifcfg-eth0
-rw-r--r-- 3 root root 128 May 15 17:35 ifcfg-eth0

The 3 in this case means that there are 3 file names pointing to the
same file. If you want to know how to create files like this, look
at the ln command.

Mikkel