Spam Filter

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 27 08:11:42 UTC 2006

From: "Garry T. Williams" <gtwilliams at gmail.com>

> On Monday 26 June 2006 21:12, jdow wrote:
>> From: "Paul Howarth" <paul at city-fan.org>
>
> [snip]
>
>> > Doing this means that *you* get to see the mail identified as spam, when
>> > you look in the special file. Rejecting the message in the SMTP
>> > transaction means that the *sender* knows you didn't get the email, so
>> > they can either try resending a less-spammy message, or contacting you
>> > by other means if it's something important. No intervention needed on
>> > your part.
>>
>> Oh really.... And how do you keep a joe-job from turning your system
>> into a spam system? Or do you mean simply 404ing the transaction?
>
> Rejecting the mail during the *SMTP* transaction *never* involves any
> hosts or addresses mentioned in the message headers.  It is a TCP
> protocol-level thing only involving the peers: the sending host and
> your receiving host.  It's impossible to involve a third party.
>
> Of course, that was the point Paul was making.

That is, of course, the right way to do it. But after being on the
receiving end of a joe-job in the past I am a little "sensitive" to
the issue. And SOME people, probably not Paul on second thought (sorry
it was not first thought, Paul), are a little careless with regards
to "reject" and "bounce".

{^_^}