Boot problems (FC4)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 27 10:03:26 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko:
>> Routers run software and they just get hosed from time to time.  It can be
>> even more "mysterious" when you have a router/hub combo and only one
>> port stops functioning.

Anne Wilson:
> Yes, I've seen that too.  And this LAN does have the initial router, two
> hub/switches and an extension router, so maybe I have to expect problems from
> time to time.

I'll add a "me three".  I've now come to the conclusion that combined
modems and routers aren't a good idea.  Well, not unless you can find a
high quality one.  You are putting your eggs in one basket.  I prefer to
run a switch behind my modem/router combination device, and connect all
my gear through the switch.  Things seem to run better, for me, that
way.  And I can reset the router without disrupting my LAN.

I read messages from the public lists.