pros and cons of separate filesystems

Keith Hunt keith.hunt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 13:54:54 UTC 2006

I'm looking for a little advice on setting up FC5 on a brand new machine. I
am pretty sure some of you folks don't mind giving advice...

I have always configured *nix systems with the standard (well, OK, sort of
standard) set of separate filesystems, trying to predict how much space I
will need for each. It usually works out OK albeit with some wasted space
here and there. Once in a while I have had to repartition things and that is
obviously a pain.

Are there any compelling reasons to do that anymore or should I just make
one big partition? I am talking about a couple pretty big SATA drives in
probably a RAID 1 configuration.

Thanks
--
Keith