several discrepancies with new -2139 kernel.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jun 27 14:47:06 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> There is only one file. There are just 3 file names pointing to it.
>> Even though the file is in 3 different directories, there is no
>> master file. They all access the same location on the hard drive, so
>> changing one has the effect of changing 3 files. But deleting one
>> file name does not delete the file. It is there until all the file
>> names pointing to it are deleted. You can see how many file names
>> are linked to a file by running "ls -l <file name>".
>>
>> [mikkel at toshiba devices]$ ls -l ifcfg-eth0
>> -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 128 May 15 17:35 ifcfg-eth0
>>
>> The 3 in this case means that there are 3 file names pointing to the
>> same file. If you want to know how to create files like this, look
>> at the ln command.
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> Ok, I'll take your word for the edit 1 edit all, but why did I have to
> edit all 3 copies before a change in the MAC address was effected?

How did you edit the files? Most text editors are aware of hard
linked files, and modify the original file, so it does not matter
what file you edit. I am not sure about word processors, as I do not
use them to edit config files.

To see how it works, try this:

touch test1.txt
ln test1.txt test2.txt
echo This is test1. > test1.txt
cat test2.txt

Now try running an editor like KWrite, vi, Joe, or mcedit on one of
the files. Changes you make in one will show up in the other. (There
are more editors you could use, I just listed a few...)

You may want run ls -l on one of the ifcfg-eth0 files, and see if
there are still 3 links. If not, it may break some utilities.

Mikkel