Ten Reasons To *NOT* Use ZFS:

Razvan Corneliu C.R. "d3vi1" VILT razvan.vilt at linux360.ro
Tue Jun 27 17:39:16 UTC 2006

>> 2 . ZFS does not support the necessary extended attributes and
>> ACLs to
>> enable the implementation of SELinux security. Instead Sun prefers
>> the
>> deployment of its own security software "Trusted Solaris", which is
>> not FOSS and runs at a cost of "$995 per seat for the Standard
>> Edition
>> Desktop System to $79,495 for the Certified Edition Data Center
>> Server."
>>
>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1641823,00.asp
>>
> The part with the necessary extended attributes and ACLs is bull. The
> reason is simple. It supports ACLs and it supports extended
> attributes,
> it's just a matter of using that support in the Linux port, and
> mapping-it to the corresponding Linux API. Since we have no real Linux
> port yet, we have no acl and xattr. There are some filesystems that
> come
> to mind right now that are available on Linux and still don't support
> xattr and acl "the Linux way" (ReiserFS ring any bells?).
> Going on to the second part: it's bull. Most of the Trusted Solaris
> extensions have already been moved to OpenSolaris and Solaris 10,
> others
> will follow. Sun is working hard to move the Trusted Extensions that
> they had in their CDE desktop to GNOME. This seems like open-source to
> me, and if we have open-source, you won't have to pay the $995-$79495
> for the product.. The whole pricing is completely irelevant, as
> OpenSolaris is still to have it's first release (Solaris 11, in the
> Sun
> versioning). It's just like comparing the Fedora Core 0.9x releases
> with
> RedHat 9. There were a lot of voices in those days that accused RedHat
> of abandoning the community. Now Fedora Core has an even stronger
> community than RedHat Linux ever dreamed of having.

Post Scriptum: The latest builds of Solaris Express also have the
Trusted Solaris Extensions available over there. Yes, you can
download them for free. Not to mention the fact that JDS4, the Sun
branded GNOME desktop is also getting some Trusted love.
(see: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/darren?
entry=trusted_extensions_email_discussions )