kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 won't sleep

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Jun 27 18:33:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, David A. De Graaf wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:22:47AM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>> lspci says my IBM T30 laptop has this:
>>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc
>>> Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
>>>
>>> I haven't accurately measured the comparative rates of battery
>>> discharge while asleep vs. awake because it takes a long time to do
>>> the experiment.  I will, though.
>>> I do have the subjective recollection that when the earlier non-ACPI
>>> system slept, the battery drain was very, very low.
>>> Now, after pressing Fn-F4 to enter sleep mode, I can see that the screen,
>>> although blank, seems to still have the backlight on.  That would seem
>>> to use power unnecessarily, but I can't find any way to turn that off,
>>> too.
>

>> OK try the following:
>>
>> (1) Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add the following:
>>
>> 	options radeonfb radeon_force_sleep=1
>>
>> (2) Create /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd containing the following line:
>>
>> 	MODULES="radeonfb"
>>
>> (3) Rebuild your initrd:
>>
>> 	mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5.img 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5
>>
>> (4) Reboot.
>>
>> (5) Test suspend.
>>

> Regrettably, this method has no discernible effect with either kernel.
> Kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5 still sleeps and awakens correctly.
> Kernel 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 sleeps, but awakens with a frozen X screen
> and keyboard.

OK that fix is known to solve the Radeon power-consumption-in-suspend
problem.  It looks like there is still something else going on and using
the radeonfb driver doesn't fix it.

> Thanks for the suggestion, though.
> It's probably time for me to visit bugzilla.

I guess so, although I still have no problems with the same Radeon chip.

You might look around at thinkwiki.org and www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/
also.
--
 		Matthew Saltzman