Various recent threads about networking issues

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue Jun 27 19:34:42 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> It is definitely related to the order of detection, but that's not
> entirely predictable.  For example, before updating initscripts, I'd see
> the order of detection change over the course of several rapid reboots
> with the same kernel.

This has also been my experience.

My router has an internal interface eth0 and an external eth1.
Rebooting swaps the interfaces some times, and the pppoe points to
the internal LAN, with obvious results.

I could fix the problem by using the MAC address (HWADDR variable
in ifcfg-eth{0,1}), but I don't want to do that because I need to
be able to move the disks to another machine with similar hardware
and power up with zero configuration change (this is done for disaster
recovery, and the disks are not really moved, just rsync'ed).

Will the new initscripts be useful for me?

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it