Failures with cdrecord

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jun 27 23:41:41 UTC 2006

Hi, Jim:

Jim Cornette writes:
> Janina Sajka wrote:
> >All of a sudden I'm finding myself unable to burn a cd rom with
> >cdrecord. I'm having the same problem on three different systems, each
> >of which is running fully updated FC5. The cdrecord on each of these
> >machines is cdrecord-2.01.01.0.a03-3, unchanged since March last. I'm
> >also quite certain that I had no problems burning back around the
> >beginning of May. I've tried a few different discs, and scsi, ide, usb
> >and firewire burners--all with the similar failures like the following:
> >
> >cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 200s
> >write track pad data: error after 0 bytes
> >BFree: 0 K BSize: 1506 K
> >Starting new track at sector: 0
> >Track 12:    0 of    6 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error.
> >write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
> >CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
> >status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> >Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 27 00 00 00
> >Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> >Sense Code: 0x27 Qual 0x00 (write protected) Fru 0x0
> >Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> >resid: 63488
> >cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 200s
> >
> >write track data: error after 0 bytes
> >cdrecord: A write error occured.
> >cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
> >Writing  time:   11.980s
> >Average write speed   9.1x.
> >Fixating...
> >Fixating time:    0.003s
> >cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 1 gets.
> >cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.
> >
> >Is it me? My media? Or something in some library? I've downversioned two
> >kernels, but still get the same failure.
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> >

> This thread might reveal why you are having problems.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-May/msg02794.html

The problem in the thread was fixed when cdrecord ran as root, but that
doesn't help in my situation.

I've since upgraded to the latest cdrecord in updates/testing, but still
no joy.

Is it possible this could be my cdr media? Why would it be trying to
write track 12 when I specified a .iso file (specifically boot.iso from
the FC5 installation media)?

> I thought that there was another possible problem with cdrecord. I could
> not find the thread.

Thanks for looking. I also didn't find anything when I Googled. So, I'm
wondering whether it's me or something bigger. Is it possible no one
else is using cdrecord from the cli that there haven't been complaints?
Seems like it might be me, but media is aall I haven't ruled out.

Janina