several discrepancies with new -2139 kernel.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jun 28 01:53:58 UTC 2006

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 6/27/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Ok, got the update.  Since this doesn't have a floppy, I assume I burn
>> it to a cd-r & reboot to winblows.  Then what?  Or is it
>
> Sure, a CD-R should work just fine.  The file is an executable, right?
> (.exe extension)  Once in Windows you just run it (double click the
> file icon).  Follow any prompts it might give.
>
>> self-explanatory once I'm in winblows?  And I don't think I've ever
>> setup a mail suck in XP so thats probably not an adequate solution.  I

Burned a cd, worked just fine.  Thanks.

> Do you have a webmail account of some type?  I can send you a Gmail
> invite if you want :).

I have a gmail account now, but its not very active, and I've not setup
tbird to suck it since I'm out of pocket with this lappy.  I probably
should, but I should be done here in another 2-3 weeks.  I never used
the gmail account as webmail at home, sucked it with fetchmail, which
worked just fine.

>> am not by choice a winderz user, going straight from amigados-3.9 to
>> linux almost a decade ago.  I've also not seen the utility in a usb key
>> fob either, till now.  Can a suitable unit be suggested that might be
>> available at wally world?
>
> They are quite handy for moving files around, backup of important
> things, etc.  You should be able to find a 1 GB stick for about $30
> now (on-sale, after all rebates and stuff).  My PNY Attache works
> great, but generally you shouldn't have a problem with any USB drive.
> Be wary of the ones that have security stuff in them; usually such
> features use Windows-only software.  Wal-Mart might not have the best
> price, you might do better with some place like CompUSA, BestBuy, etc.

The blank cd seems like a waste for a 2.5 meg file, but its also under
$0.50 too.

I believe one item is fixed, I was getting nuisance messages in the
messages file from the builtin lightscribe drive, and a tail -f on it
doesn't show them so far since it did an auto powerdown after the bios
flash.  Duh, too soon, just got one:

diablo kernel: hdc: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason =
0x01)

and I see this stanza in the messages file is still there.  Someone said
it looked like a bios problem...

Jun 27 21:18:08 diablo kernel: Kernel command line: ro root=LABEL=/
irqpoll noapic noapci pci=assign-busses lapic
Jun 27 21:18:08 diablo smartd[1861]: smartd has fork()ed into background
mode. New PID=1861.
Jun 27 21:18:08 diablo kernel: Misrouted IRQ fixup and polling support
enabled
Jun 27 21:18:08 diablo kernel: This may significantly impact system
performance

But I'm wondering if it might be related to that long string of kernel
arguments it took to get it to boot FC5 originally?  Does this tell us
one or more of those "irqpoll noapic noapci pci=assign-busses lapic"
should be removed?

The bios did seem to fix the message about mmconfig, I don't see that in
this bootup so far.

And this I'd like to disable, totally.

Jun 27 21:18:14 diablo kernel: Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 6.2,
id: 0x1a0b1, caps: 0xa04713/0x200000
Jun 27 21:18:14 diablo kernel: input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as
/class/input/input1

Is there some way I can send both the irq's and the data from
/class/input/input1 to /dev/null?

This of course is booted to the 2.6.16-1.2133 kernel since the
networking and the ntfs goes away with 2.6.17-2139.  The last time I
checked, it appears livna is ahead of the kernel.  But I'll see if that
condition still exists yet tonight.

> Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan.

--