BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#1!

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 02:56:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 20:42 +0100, Chris Allen wrote:
> I have a Supermicro box with dual 3.2GHz Xeon processors, a 250GB disk
> containing FC5 and 16 x 750GB sata disks on a single Areca controller.
>
> Linux vsnap1 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp #1 SMP Tue Mar 14 16:05:46 EST 2006
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I occasionally see output like that below on the console. It doesn't
> seem to affect the running of the machine at all, but it is still
> rather worrying... Does anybody know what causes it?
>

> Jun 26 18:15:04 vsnap1 kernel: BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#1!

I had a similar problem with my AMD64, that was doing a kernel panic on
somethingoranother #4 related to the processor and rebooting. Then a
couple of days later the power supply went south and the machine was
dead and cold. Replaced the power supply (new machine, the dealer fixed
it) and I've never had another problem, related to the processor.
Transient low voltage would be a bitch to diagnose on the fly. Ric